Saturday 11 February 2012

2012 - A Year For Change

It gets past January and I suddenly realise that I haven't done anything I said I'd start doing, but one thing that I have been looking into is to stop using products that are tested on animals.
I applied for a cruelty free booklet from the BUAV website (click here to request yours) and I'm trying my hardest to keep an eye out for the leaping bunny symbol on both cosmetics and household items.

It takes 2 seconds to google "cosmetics companies that test on animals" and there are a ton of websites with names of brands and products. The BUAV website also supplies a list of companies that you can browse through (here) to make it a bit easier, though sometimes it has the whole company name rather than a specific product so have a browse around the company's website to see if there's any products you recognise.

Being a student I don't like to splash out on branded products all the time and going cruelty free is sometimes easier on your wallet! For example, the Co-op, Marks & Spencer and Superdrug's own brand products are not tested on animals, but Ariel, Daz, Fairy are just a few brands all owned by companies who have not banned the testing of their products on animals (so they do test on animals). It's more common than not that supermarket own brands are also cheaper than the big brands so maybe check that out when you're next buying your washing powder!

In terms of what I am doing to reduce and eventually stop my own purchasing and use of non BUAV approved products is to check online before I buy and if necessary to contact the company to find out for myself. I'm sure I currently have products that are tested on animals but once they're used up I won't be re-purchasing them.

I'd also like to direct you to Karris' blog as she has been very conscientious of this movement for a while.

I hope this can encourage one more person to think before they buy, let me know if you have any more websites or information that I can add here to spread the word!

Lots of love,

1 comment:

  1. it's really upseting knowing that huge brands of cosmetics use animals to test their products!

    ReplyDelete